In order to get robots, computer or other electronic gadgets to clean the floor, walk or pick up certain things, a set of commands is needed for them to do exactly what is required. Algorithms are the the step-by-step instructions or conditions that give the so-called robots instructions to perform the task accordingly.
In addition, Algorithms are also used in our daily lives in uncomplicated ways when we make decisions. For example – what are the conditions for you to prioritize one task over another. It’s probably a combination of time-sensitivity, importance, or just pure need.
These set of conditions can be applied to the idea of computer algorithms. Should a cleaning robot turn left, right or go straight, there are numerous conditions given to the robot to complete the task at hand efficiently. The only difference is, in the human mind the conditions may change, but in a robot, there are programs which order them to do specific tasks in a restricted way. These programs help computers “learn” how to adjust according to the conditions based on their procedures; in other words, machine learning and the development of artificial intelligence.
Let’s take a look at one easy example to convey the idea of algorithms. Perhaps setting up a brand new rechargeable fan. If it is charged without putting in the battery, certainly it will never charge. The preliminary step before charging is to put in the batteries. Therefore, the steps should be to read and assemble according to the instruction given; the algorithm.
There are advantages in programming your computers or machines using algorithms, considering that one machine can replace the job of several workers and also save production cost and time for product development.
ALGORITHMS and SPACE COMPLEXITY
What exactly is space complexity and what does it have to do with algorithms? Auxiliary space is the excess space used by an algorithm which is often confused with space complexity. Space complexity includes both auxiliary space and data input. There are three reasons algorithms use memory space and these are the followings
- Instruction space is how much memory is required for the whole set of instruction to be stored on the machine.
- Environmental stack is when an algorithm is required to be within another algorithm. Here a certain data will be placed on the system stack and kept for later use.
- Data space is the amount of space occupied by data input.
ALGORITHMS and TIME COMPLEXITY
Time complexity is a certain amount of time it takes to complete a certain task. It can be used roughly by every algorithm, but more useful for repetitive tasks like putting on a bottle top or automatic car washes where the everything is repeating over and over again in a fixed amount of time.
Before computers were made available every document was stored in piles of boxes with some labelled and unlabelled . Searching algorithm is what resolves this problem
when using modern day search engines, weather in a library, at a company’s database or a department store directory. It also aids in recalling old data stored somewhere extremely deep like with an old patient’s record.
Sorting is to arrange so that information is easily acquired by users. Whether it be arranged alphabetically or numerically, its simpler access aids in easier understanding and easy to read order. Sorting algorithm is a definite order in which data is organized.
- Bubble Sort shows precisely how sorting is done and is also uncomplicated and easy to grasp. Bubble sorts the unsorted part and corrects those incorrectly sorted. This is repeated until everything is placed in the right order.
- Selection Sort separates the input into two sections, the sublist of the sorted and unsorted data. The unsorted items are sorted according to the order of the sorted items until is sorted.
- Insertion Sort is simpler than the both above, insertion sort takes out an item then insert it in the appropriate sorted section.
- Merge Sort merges two steps of algorithm. The idea is to break down two algorithm and merging them to make new sorted names until all the separate pieces has been merged to smaller subtitles.
Algorithm is massively used in factories in the production line. There are many more areas in which algorithm is applied for instance while following a recipe or installing electronic goods. Algorithm also helps in showing direction to get somewhere.
Learn more about algorithms and its important role in the world of digital marketing for search engines and SEO here.